For questions regarding the transportation policies, please review the information posted under the “Parent & Community” button on the Halton District School Board website or the Halton Student Transportation Services website . You may also contact the Transportation Department at 1-888-803-8660 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day Rider Policy Reminder...
Only students assigned to a specific route may ride that bus when coming to and returning from school. Students are not permitted to change routes at either their discretion or the request of the parent(s)/guardian(s). Below are the Halton Student Transportation Services and Halton District School Board policies related to this issue.
Halton Student Transportation Services (HSTS)
Statement (August 1, 2008): All temporary transportation requests shall be refused.
Examples of Refused Requests Include (Incomplete List)
1. The student must work on a project at a friend’s house.
2. The parent or guardian must work later than expected.
3. The parent or guardian will not be able to arrive on time at the bus stop.
4. The parent or guardian must be away for a few days or a few weeks because of an emergency.
5. The parent or guardian will be away on holidays, and the child(ren) will be staying with someone else temporarily.
6. The parent or guardian will be on a business trip, and the child(ren) will be staying with someone else temporarily.
7. The student will be visiting a relative, a friend or someone else.
8. The student is taking lessons after school once a week.
9. The student’s after-school daycare centre is closed for a few days, and he/she must go to another babysitter.
10. The parent/guardian’s work schedule has been temporarily changed.
Be it resolved that the Halton District School Board approve an amendment to Section 4 of the Transportation Policy as follows:
4 g. Requests to ride an alternate route under exceptional circumstances
A Board may consider requests and authorize transportation for ineligible students, and eligible students in Grades 4 to 8, to ride an alternate bus for the end of day school to home route, subject to all of the following conditions:
a) Available space exists on the requested bus route. Available space is defined as any available space above the total of eligible and approved “courtesy seat” riders. Capacity guidelines for large school buses is: 48 secondary, 60 elementary.
b) The request is for exceptional circumstances and not a regular expectation or request.
c) The student requesting the “empty seat” has participated in a bus rider safety program.
d) A written request is received from the parents of the student(s) for each request at least 24 hours in advance in order to provide the principal sufficient time to investigate seat availability.
e) The Principal or their designate approve the request in writing.
f) Documentation of the Principal’s approval be presented to the driver of the alternate route.
g) Documentation of the Principal’s approval be presented to the driver of the route and the documentation include the bus stop the student will use.
h) The school will record the name, date and route number for all approved riders and this log will be maintained and available in the office upon departure of the bus.
i) The Principal or their designate, who at their discretion and based on their knowledge of seat availability and the reason for the request, may deny any or all alternate route requests.
j) Permission to ride an alternate route under exceptional circumstances shall not be considered to constitute a precedent or to establish a right for regular transportation.
k) The Principal inform Halton Student Transportation Services of the change prior to the end of the school day. The principal or his/her designate must email the student’s name, grade, date the student will be riding, bus stop location, and route number to email@example.com .